ICT4D - Information and Communication Technologies for Development
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) represent a special opportunity to leverage tools and innovation to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SOS Children’s Villages is working to make these technologies more accessible to children, young people and families around the world. Our goal is to help enhance their knowledge, skills, networks and resources to build sustainable futures.
In today’s world, ICT has tremendous potential to accelerate progress and contribute to reaching the Sustainable Development Goals. ICT4D (Information and Communication Technologies for Development) applies these technologies to people in developing countries and makes them more widely accessible.
Through ICT4D, SOS Children’s Villages supports the development of children, young people, families and communities in various ways:
- providing access to the Internet and technologies,
- enhancing digital literacy,
- facilitating learning through e-learning materials and open-source courses,
- computer trainings to improve employability,
- connecting young people and mentors through social networks,
- providing databases and accounting software to improve healthcare infrastructure, etc.