SOS Children’s Villages International (CVI) is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we help children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for children’s rights. We work in 136 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
The Head of Safety & Security will contribute to the implementation of SOS CVI´s strategy 2020 by establishing risk reduction mechanism in 60 Member Associations to improve security and safety of children, staff and assets.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Articulate steps and measures to implement the institutional Security Policy and lead and coordinate the practical implementation of the security policy in the different locations
- Lead the development and review of security plans and procedures, including, but not limited to, contingency and crisis response plans, severe incident management protocol (kidnapping), standard operating procedures, emergency communications
- Provide advice and respond to training needs to develop staff safety and security competencies – also by drawing from the experience of local teams and stakeholders
- Undertake regular security assessment missions in existing and potential areas of intervention and intervene/assist in case a need is expressed by the International Office/International Office Region or Member Association for support in severe incident management, crisis management or other
- Maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network of security specialists in all regions and build relationships with key actors
- Monitor the reporting and data gathering of security incidents and generate analysis/reports on security trends, responses and vulnerabilities and any relevant lessons learned from security and safety incidents
- Master`s degree or equivalent in a relevant domain, such as Disaster Management, Development Studies, Social Sciences or International Relations
- Minimum of 10 years of operational experience in humanitarian aid and/or development work, in particular in multi-cluster INGOs or multinational organisations
- Demonstrable expertise in safety and security management in hazardous/complex environments, including design and management of safety and security risk management structures and operational application
- Excellent command of English (written and oral); advanced knowledge of French or Spanish or Arabic would be an advantage
- Strong organisational, planning, training, analytical and coordination skills
- Familiarity with recent developments in the non-profit and multinational environment as to duty of care and risk management (such as ISO 31000)
- Understanding of non-profit and multinational safety and security networks and fora, at both the organisational and operational level
- Applicants preferably hold a valid Austrian working permit or are eligible to work within the EU
- A diverse range of interesting tasks in a leading INGO multicultural working environment
- As a responsible employer we provide a range of training schemes and encourage educational enhancement
- A salary that will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application in English by 24 November 2019 at the latest to email@example.com, SOS-Children’s Villages International, www.sos-childrensvillages.org/.