SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
Type of contract: Expatriate contract for candidates based abroad or local contract for candidates based in Senegal (Senegalese or foreigners)
Contract duration: 12 months (with possibility of open-ended contract upon results)
Start date: As soon as possible but June or July is preferred
Under the leadership of the International Director Region IOR WCAF, the Programme Development Director will drive the on-going development of programme work within the region. Furthermore, s/he ensures the best possible response aligned to the situation of children in each community, makes sure that Programme quality management approaches are implemented, and promotes monitoring and continuous learning.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Policy, quality standards and organisational learning
- Drive and monitor the implementation of federation programme policies and quality standards in Member Associations (MAs); this includes training and supporting MAs on programme related policy implementation
- Initiate and contribute to development of federation programme related policies, standards and guidelines; this includes working on regional supporting tools to fill gap areas and promote innovations
- Support core-care-co-workers skills trainings (in alignment with Human Resources) and build programme capacity in MAs to enhance child development
- Develop, lead and support the regional programme network consisting of national, regional programme co-workers, supporting cross-national, cross-regional knowledge sharing and steering national and regional development
Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure the consistent monitoring of programme quality in MAs and the execution of programme audits
- Drive the active prevention of child abuse and the implementation of transparent reporting systems in MAs
- Ensure management, development coordination, roll-out, operation and first level user support of international / regional programme systems and database applications in close cooperation with our regional ICT teams
- Ensure close cooperation with MAs providing support, guidance and capacity building on programme topics
Research Innovation and Development
- Drive and support programme development, innovations and piloting in MAs
- Ensure best-practice sharing between MAs as well as within and between regions
- Support international research projects through facilitating the participation of MAs
- Oversee the programme planning process in the region for both new and existing programmes and support ongoing consolidation and prioritisation. This includes participating in programme planning workshops in MAs and consideration of best practice within and outside the region
- Develop and foster partnerships on a regional level, focusing on impact for programme work
People management responsibility
- Lead the team of co-workers in the function in the region (Dakar and Yaoundé), managing the performance and ensuring development of direct reports
- Liaise closely with other functions at the regional level in order to guarantee adherence to organisational standards and to seek synergies wherever possible
- As Function’s representative in the Regional Management Team, bring in the functional expert view, striving at the same time for a customer / service focused cross-functional cooperation
- Minimum 10 years of INGO experience (particularly in West & Central Africa)
- Minimum of 8 years in the same position or leadership positions ( Project Management experience including project planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting)
- Willingness and ability to do international travels and within the region at short notice
- Certified training in Leadership, Child Protection and Project Management
- Understanding of technical aspects of Program Management activities
- Good knowledge on Microsoft Office with high level in the use of Power Point and Excel
- Good communication and diplomacy skills with a strong ability to persuade and influence client and stakeholder
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of French and English to meet donors’ requirements
- Demonstrated experience and capability to manage projects autonomously
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with local and international stakeholders
- Ability to virtually work in a multicultural environment and to handle change
- Diverse, creative and challenging opportunities in an international working environmen
- Possibility to make significant contribution towards the development of Member Associations in the Region
- Competitive compensation package and excellent development opportunities
- In accordance with the organisation’s child protection policy, all employment is subject to applicable background checks, including criminal record checks.
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application (CV+Cover letter IN ENGLISH) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The position remain opened until filled.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.