SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
Mission of the position:
As a member of the Programme Development team the Child Protection Advisor : Provides quality technical leadership and advice for the design, implementation and monitoring of Child Protection in ESAF region; Provides technical guidance to NAs teams and ensures that high-quality activities are implemented in a timely manner; Leads on developing proposals and securing funding for child protection related projects; Ensures the coordination of all Child Protection activities through active participation in coordination meetings and working groups; Ensures qualitative support to countries on child protection, especially on sensitization, prevention, reporting and responding of cases, and monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the Child Protection Policy.
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
Governance and Strategy
- Ensure development of clear regional strategies on child protection
- Coordinate, support and ensure the consistency of MA strategic and annual planning on child protection for MA’s identified as priority countries for child protection,
- Provide information, advice and expertise in the field of work, in line with the priorities identified
- Find information on important activities and events of the civil society, international organizations, NGOs and suggest to the Regional PD Director and the appropriate participation.
- Liaise with partners, recommend, organize and prepare meetings with key potential partner organizations as agreed with the Director of Programming.
- Lead the development of tools, systems and structures to support child protection.
- Interpret the organisation’s policy frameworks and actively participate in to the development of the work on child protection.
- Track and record the work within the countries on his field of work, through reviewing progress reports & statistics, other monitoring & evaluation reports, and regular contact with relevant staff and country/programme visits
- Advise national focal persons on the development of required resources (tools, systems &structures), through relevant regional forums and processes.
- Drive regional planning processes in this area of work, facilitate relevant sessions of regional forums. Ensure that appropriate targets, objectives and actions are set
- Gather relevant information, from inside and outside the organisation, to support the development of these areas of work. This includes information regarding OVCs, child rights- based approaches, and alternative forms of childcare.
- Serve a resource for other Programme Development Advisors in the region for child protection issues.
- Competencies on monitoring and evaluation and Child safeguarding mechanism.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English, Portuguese and / or French as an additional language would be an advantage
- Ability to work under pressure and willingness to work flexible hours in the event of emergencies.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in and ability to influence key decision makers and build a network within an organisation.
- Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner.
- Commitment to SOS Children’s Village values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy.
- Master or Bachelor degree in Social Work, Human Rights, Child Protection or relevant field
- Minimum 5 years extensive experience, progressively responsible, working in child protection programming,
- Extensive experience in building strong child protection systems and in delivering services to children, including in emergencies
- Ability to assess and analyse risks, children’s emotional, psychological and developmental need and family functioning.
A competitive package will be offered to the successful candidate.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application by (23 February 2018) at the latest to ESAF.HROD@sos-kd.org
- If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and copies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees as Single Document.
- Applications that are late, or do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. E-mail applications should bear the reference number of the position in the subject line of the email.