SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
Within the Eastern and Southern Africa region, SOS Children's Villages International is headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and has member associations in Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Somali/Somaliland, Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, Mauritius, Angola and Madagascar.
Mission of the position:
The Director of Regional Programme Development drives the on-going development of programme work within the region, ensuring the best possible response aligned to the situation of children in each community. Programme quality management approaches are implemented that promote monitoring and continuous learning.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Key performance areas and main responsibilities:
Policy, quality standards and organisational learning
- Drive and monitor the implementation of federation programme policies and quality standards in Member Associations (MAs); this includes training and supporting MAs on programme related policy implementation
- Initiate and contribute to development of federation programme related policies, standards and guidelines; this includes working on regional supporting tools to fill gap areas and promote innovations
- Support core-care-co-workers skills trainings (in alignment with HROD) and build programme capacity in MAs to enhance child development
- Develop, lead and support the regional programme network consisting of national, regional programme co-workers, supporting cross-national, cross-regional knowledge sharing and steering national and regional development
Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure the consistent monitoring of programme quality in MAs and the execution of programme audits
- Drive the active prevention of child abuse and the implementation of transparent reporting systems in MAs
- Ensure management, development coordination, roll-out, operation and first level user support of international / regional programme systems and database applications in close cooperation with regional ICT
- Ensure close cooperation with MAs providing support, guidance and capacity building on programme topics
Research Innovation and Development
- Ensure best-practice sharing between MAs as well as within and between regions
- Support international research projects through facilitating the participation of MAs
- Oversee the programme planning process in the region for both new and existing programmes and support ongoing consolidation and prioritisation. This includes participating in programme planning workshops in MAs and consideration of best practice within and outside the region
- Develop and foster partnerships on a regional level, focusing on impact for programme work
- Support MAs in advocacy activities, mainly with national governments and build advocacy capacity
- Promote advocacy activities, both local and international development cooperation and monitor external regional trends.
People management responsibility
- Lead the team of co-workers in the function in the region, managing the performance and ensuring development of direct reports.
- Significant senior programme management experience (at least 8 years) in International organization set up. High level of comfort with, and experience in adaptive programme management essential.
- Master’s Degree in Sociology, Project Management, Development studies, or related field.
- Proven ability to manage diverse teams, creating a sense of trust, empowerment and professional growth.
- Must be able to balance the need for strategic focus and impact, with a high level of attention to detail – must be able to develop and manage detailed plans and budgets in accordance with contractual requirements, while managing the overall strategy.
- Good consulting, analytical and critical thinking skills, organized.
- Strategic thinking and planning
- People Management
- Results orientation
- Self- and time management
- Positive, energetic self-starter with high level of personal drive and resilience.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills.
- High level of reporting skill with excellent communication skills with partners and proven ability to work effectively with partner organizations.
- Senior leadership skills, ability to work in networks and ability to lead strategy processes effectively.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Ability to lead and engage different stakeholders in planning processes and to set priorities.
- Proven project management skills with a strong knowledge of budgeting.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Strong personal organizational and self-management skills.
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Fluent in English with excellent writing and speaking skills and knowledge of at least another language.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
How to apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV), and photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees as single document. Applications that are late, do not have CV or certificates attached, will be disqualified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. E-mail applications should bear the reference number of the position in the subject line of the email.
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application by (1 June 2018) at the latest to ESAF.HROD@sos-kd.org