Regional Internal Audit Advisor West and Central Africa
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Regional Internal Audit Advisor will examine and evaluate the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the projects/programmes internal control systems and procedures and recommend corrective actions to improve operations, enhance internal controls and reduce costs where possible.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Finance and Controlling Director, the Regional Internal Audit Advisor will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute to a baseline risk assessment and assist with and provide inputs to enhance the risk assessment of the projects/ programmes
- Draft internal audit work plans and programmes; discuss with the Regional Finance and Controlling Director in preparation for the projects of annual audits plan.
- Define expectations for each audit project including audit objectives, initial planning activities, and scope of the project;
- Conduct operational and financial audits to assess effectiveness of internal controls, accuracy of financial reporting, efficiency of operations, and compliance with policies;
- Prepare audit working papers to document the audit process, tests, and results;
- Discuss audit findings and recommendations with projects/programmes management and report significant issues to Regional Office management.
- Conduct regular follow up of all open internal and external audit findings to ensure implementation
- Investigate when necessary on suspicions of fraud, embezzlement…
- Prepare and submit timely internal audit reports to the Regional Finance and Controlling Director highlighting work done, findings and relevant recommendations.
- Participate in training plan and conduct training in internal auditing.
- Master degree in one of the following disciplines: accounting, audit, management control or other related field
- Qualification as a Certified Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) is considered as an advantage.
- At least eight (08) years of professional experience with four or five years in auditing in NGO and international organizations
- Practical experience in conducting and leading investigations.
- Practical experience in auditing of projects/programs financed by international donor in African countries is considered as an advantage.
- Fluency in French and English languages
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, including the preparation of reports;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Significant experience and ability working both independently and as part of a team
- Willing to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas
- Ability to work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Diverse, creative and challenging opportunities in an international working environment
- Possibility to make significant contribution towards the development of Member Associations in the Region
- Competitive compensation package and excellent development opportunities In accordance with the organisation’s child protection policy, all employment is subject to applicable background checks, including criminal record checks
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application CV + Cover letter to email@example.com SOS-Children’s Villages International, www.sos-childrensvillages.org/.
Please note: The position remains opened until filled
The position title must be mentioned in the subject line. Female candidates are strongly encouraged. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.