Regional Emergency Advisor – field support (Dakar)
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children’s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year.
Tasks and responsibilities
SOS Children’s Village IOR WCAF is looking for a Regional Emergency Advisor r-field support. He/she plays a key role in the coordination of the emergency response programmes (ERPs) and the start-up of field operations in the affected National Association in Central and West African Region. The position involves the monitoring, evaluation, communication and coordination of emergency programmes in the region.
- Flying to countries to support preparedness and emergency response operations.
- Lead rapid need assessments in crisis settings.
- Train field staff in a variety of emergency topics: security, logistics, procurement etc
- Daily follow-up and regular update meetings with the relevant national operations managers in the crisis responses.
- Provide support to the ER advisor and in cooperation with national teams for emergency response projects.
- Support on the development of programme concepts, proposal, budgets and other programme related documents.
- Implementing Project Management mechanisms and tools to ensure programme schedule and objectives are met.
- Is accountable for monitoring the timely and complete accomplishment of emergency programme reports and situation reports by country teams.
- Make sure the budgets are in line with the planned activities and the timeframe and correspond to the needs in the field.
- Provide support in the recruitment phase of the project that is directly linked to the ERP in a respective country.
- Minimum 5 years of field emergency experience (particularly in West & Central Africa)
- Minimum of 7 years of project management experience including project planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting
- Willingness and ability to do international travel in emergency countries within the region at short notice
- Successful track records in coordinating and training field staff in crisis settings.
- Certified training in security, logistics and/or procurement is a strong asset.
- Has an understanding of technical aspects of emergency program activities.
- The experience in Child Protection and Health sector in emergency is an asset.
- Good knowledge on Microsoft Office with high level in the use of Power Point and Excel.
- Good communication and diplomacy skills with a strong ability to persuade and influence client and stakeholder relationships. Will interface with 3rd party
- Must have excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of French and English to meet donor requirements.
- Demonstrable experience and capability to manage projects autonomously.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with local and international other stakeholders.
- Ability to virtually work in a multicultural environment and to handle change
- Diverse, creative and challenging opportunities in an international working environment
- Possibility to make significant contribution towards the development of Member Associations in the Region
- Competitive compensation package and excellent development opportunities In accordance with the organisation’s child protection policy, all employment is subject to applicable background checks, including criminal record checks
If you are interested in this position, please send your detailed e-mail application CV + Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. SOS-Children’s Villages International, www.sos-childrensvillages.org/.
Please note: the vacancy notice remains opened until filled!
Female candidates are strongly encouraged. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.