SOS Children’s Villages ensures that children grow up with the care, protection and relationships they need to become their strongest selves (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Kazakhstan).

The Republic of Kazakhstan is an ethnically diverse country located in Central Asia with a population of 19 million people. Following a period of economic growth, the country has experienced significant internal migration to urban centres with around 56% of the population now living in cities and the remaining 44% living in rural communities.

SOS Children’s Villages has been supporting children and young people without parental care, or at risk of losing it, in Kazakhstan since 1997.

Children are at risk

Children and young people make up over a third of the population, with almost 6.5 million under the age of 18. Urban migration has resulted in a significant number of children living on the streets of the city. Often, these children do not attend school and are vulnerable to malnutrition, violence, exploitation and sexual abuse. Many children without parental care live in institutions, where their individual needs can’t be met
2 in 5
Children live in poverty in Kazakhstan


Around 5% of the population lives under the nationally defined poverty line. However, children constitute more than 40% of all Kazakhstanis living in poverty, this is currently, almost 1 million children. Families with many children are most likely to live in poverty, partly due to the inadequate social support for families with children. Without well-resourced services to support families that face difficult situations, children run the risk of ending up in institutions, deprived of opportunities to grow in more caring environments.

Of children are forced to work in Kazakhstan

Child labour

There are large differences in living standards between regions and among rural and urban areas. Rural poverty levels are twice as high compared to urban levels. As a result, more than 3% of children between the ages of five and 14 are forced to work. Many work more than13 hours a day, missing school and being exposed to chemicals that damage their health. Child labour deprives children of their rights and often exposes them to physical and mental harm.

Per 100,000 young people die by suicide in Kazakhstan

Mental health crisis

While the prospects of young people seem to have greatly improved in recent years, with, for example, better educational opportunities, young people are struggling in Kazakhstan. Death by suicide remains a leading cause of adolescent mortality, at a rate higher than the Eastern Europe and Central Asia regional averages. Professional services for children and young people who require mental health support are often inadequate.

Together we can make a difference for children in Kazakhstan

Can stay together
Grow up in our care
Children and young people
Are supported on their way to independence
SOS Children’s Villages supports families so that they can stay together and children can grow up with the care and security they need. When children need to be cared for outside of their families, they come into our care. Here they can form the bonds they need to thrive. And wherever possible, and in their best interest, children keep in touch with their families (photo: SOS Children’s Villages Kazakhstan).

Let’s keep on protecting children and young people!

Many children have been able to find a safe and secure home. With your help, we can continue to change their lives